Mr. Nelson’s practice areas include real estate, banking, business & estate planning, and education law. He is the author of several professional manuals and papers and regularly provides training to Idaho educators, administrators, and legal counsel.
Mr. Nelson serves as general counsel to a state-chartered regional bank and represents a number of other state and federally chartered lenders as outside counsel. He also represents many small businesses, co-operatives and school districts.
Mr. Nelson has been awarded the prestigious “AV Preeminent” rating from Martindale-Hubbel, the highest possible peer review rating in legal ability and ethical standards. He is also the recipient of the Idaho State Bar “Professionalism Award” for longstanding ethical and personal conduct during a distinguished legal career.
He has served as a mediator and an arbitrator in proceedings of the American Arbitration Association and has represented clients in various arbitration proceedings in Idaho and before New York and American Stock Exchange arbitration panels. Mr. Nelson has received training in long-range planning and facilitation for 501 (c) (3) entities and private foundations.
Mr. Nelson is a fourth generation Idahoan and was raised in the rural Idaho Falls area. He is married to the former Billie Call and they have six children. Mr. Nelson is past chairman of the Idaho Community Foundation, through which he and his wife support grants for education enrichment, the arts, and volunteer training. (For information on grant opportunities visit: http://www.idcomfdn.org)
His hobbies include skiing, tennis, historical biography, photography, and artistic glasswork.
University of Utah College of Law, Magna Cum Laude, 1973
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate Law
- Banking Law
- Business Law
- Estate Planning
- Education Law
Admissions & Memberships
- Idaho State Bar, 1973
- United States District Court, District of Idaho, 1973
- Real Estate Section of Idaho State Bar, Member
- Estates, Trusts, and Taxation Section of Idaho State Bar, Member
Honors and Publications
- Grand Teton Counsel of the Boy Scouts of America, Past Board Member and Endowment Development Chair
- Idaho Falls Rotary Club, Past President
- Rotary Club 360, Inc., Past President
- Idaho Falls Civitan Club, Past President
- Idaho Falls, YMCA, Past President
- United Way of Bonneville County, Past President
- Eastern Idaho Estate Planning Council, Past President
- National Association of School of Law Attorneys, Member
- Lectured for Idaho Law Foundation, National Business Institute, and Idaho Bankers Association
- BYU-Idaho, School of Education, Visiting Lecturer